Re: Comments on HTML WG face to face meetings in France Oct 08

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:16:18 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Specifically, which layer (specification) defines what the rendering of
> this URL should be, in terms of how the syntax or parsing affects whether
> there should be any bold text?:
>
> data:text/xml,%3C?xml-stylesheet%20href=%22data:text/css,*{font-weight:bold}%22?%3E%3Croot%3Etext%20%3Couter%3Eouter%20%3Cinner%3Einner%3C/outer%3E

Up to the application. Feed that URL to any app you like. The app
defines what should be done with it. Feed it to a browser, you'll get
one thing. Feed it to an app that wants to do somethint else, you'll get
something else.

In this specific example, though, I personally don't recognize exactly
what you're sending so I'm not sure which specs apply. (Some sort of
encoded XML with CSS maybe?) However were I to choose to consume this I
would have to choose which specs to apply. You as publisher neither get
to choose nor specify how I interpret your data. You may suggest, but I
am free to ignore your suggestions if I prefer to do something else.

There is no *required* processing, nor should there be.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA