Re: State transitions for media elements

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> > As defined, the networkState will never be set to NETWORK_LOADED
> > before the metadata and first frame have been obtained explicitly. Is
> > that ok?
>
> That's the order of things in the load() algorithm currently. It's not a
> huge problem, but would it hurt to simply merge step 14 and 15, so that
> NETWORK_LOADED can occur independently of HAVE_METADATA and
> HAVE_CURRENT_DATA?

My concern is that people will end up with subtle bugs if the order
between those two are left up to the UA, and we'll end up having to define
it anyway. How important is it to you that they be unrelated? (And is it
really that they are unrelated, or that the NETWORK_LOADED thing will
always fire before anything else if it's from cache?)

> > It seems like it is useful to expose what the browser thinks the state
> > is. If people think we should drop NETWORK_EMPTY and just have
> > NETWORK_IDLE, though, I'm certainly open to changing the spec to that.
> > What do people want?
>
> Exposing NETWORK_EMPTY in networkState seems neither useful nor harmful,
> so if nobody else cares either way then perhaps change for the sake of
> change would be a waste of time.

I think that it is possible that people would want different UI for those
two cases. It also indicates the difference between currentSrc being valid
or not, which seems useful.