Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

From: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:32:41 -0600
Cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html@w3.org
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

I agree with what Roy says as well[1]. I think this also suggests some
ways the spec could be broken out and modularized to great advantage.
I see several distinct parts of HTML5 that could stand on their own.

1) a markup parsing and serialization specification  with thoroughly
specified error handling  that could apply as much to SGML (if DTD
support was added back into it) as it applies to HTML
2) modified HTML language and DOM specification
3) a web browser behavior specification (as Roy called it) including
the thorough specification of DOM method and attribute processing
algorithms

All three of these parts could stand on their own. The HTML language
and DOM specification  as it currently stands  is also the weakest
part of the draft. It fails to take into consideration the needs of
users and authors and shows a drastic misunderstanding of HTML
authoring. IMO, it would be best break the draft out into these three
separate recommendations. Though there are dependencies here, these
three have clear boundaries that allow their separation.

  a ) While HTML and its DOM need a parsing and serialization
specification, it can potentially (and does) support multiple parsing/
serialization approaches.
  b) While the browser behavior (and the precise specification of
processing algorithms) is dependent upon the HTML language and DOM
specification, it is likewise dependent on a great number of other
language and DOM specifications.
  c) Conversely, we should not assume that the HTML language and DOM
will be processed only by a browser.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Nov/0430.html>