Re: Selectors Tests

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper.comcast@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:38:19 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical@gmail.com>, "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Nov 12, 2008, at 4:08 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> In my case, I used the styled link in exactly the same way that
>> submit buttons are used: to look like a button and submit a form.
>> It had an "onclick" handler that pointed to the same function used
>> by the "onsubmit" of the form, and the link returned false to the
>> link action of the href. So, when I needed the button-like link to
>> be disabled, it was in exactly the same sort of situations where
>> someone would want to disable a "submit" input.
>
> Sounds to me like you want a fully styleable submit button, not an
> enable/disable-able link.
>
> ~fantasai

Which of those two choices could happen quicker? I'm not elderly, but
I suspect I would be dead and buried long before I could style submit
buttons as fully and reliably as links. And as Andrew pointed out,
there are a variety of elements that could benefit from the ability of
being disable-able. Heck, even text could have a default look when
disabled (gray) and could be non selectable in that state. I can't
remember what it is that makes text non-selectable, or if it is a
browser extension, but I can remember "disabled".