Re: Selectors Tests

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)
<P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Before retiring as webmaster at Royal Holloway, University of London,
> we certainly had disabled links in some iterations of the site.  The
> classic case was the need to differentiate (in a jump table menu)
> between the current page (to which jumping would serve no purpose)
> and the set of target pages that were not the current page.  I imagine
> that this is by no means rare in real life.

Certainly not.  You can see it on practically any website, e.g., Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=history

Notice how "Latest" and "newer 50" at the bottom are non-linked, as is
"(cur)" for the top revision.  Also, any link to the current article
is automatically turned into a <span class="selflink">, which is
bolded.

But do these match the semantics of :disabled?  :disabled implies to
me that the user might take some action to enable the object.  In
these cases, the link is semantically unwanted under all
circumstances, in the current context.