Re: Selectors Tests

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Allowing links to be disabled would be something for the HTMLWG to
> consider, but it would require clear use cases, and there haven't been
> any presented.  If this was something that authors really wanted, then
> it's very likely that they would have found workarounds, which isn't too
> hard to do.
>
> e.g. Attaching an event listener that cancels the default action when
> clicked, and adding a class name like class="disabled" which can be used
> for styling.  (If authors are doing this, or something else that gives
> equivalent results, then please raise the issue on public-html and
> present the examples.)

Before retiring as webmaster at Royal Holloway, University of London,
we certainly had disabled links in some iterations of the site.  The
classic case was the need to differentiate (in a jump table menu)
between the current page (to which jumping would serve no purpose)
and the set of target pages that were not the current page.  I imagine
that this is by no means rare in real life.

Philip TAYLOR