RE: Section 1.4.4 proposed text

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Justin James wrote:

> My 2 cents: I think that anyone reading this section of the HTML 5 spec
> (indeed, anyone reading any portion of it) is familiar with the various
> risks of such technologies.

I don't think that's necessarily the case at all. Certainly, when I first
read HTML4 I had little clue about these issues.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Chris Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 11, 2008, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >How are Flash and Silverlight not UI languages?
>
> I would say both Flash and Silverlight can be USED as UI languages, as
> can HTML; however, that's not all they are.  Flash is an animation
> language, for example; Silverlight is an application language (deeper
> than just UI).

Fair enough. Fixed.

> As Justin James just responded, I think anyone reading this section of
> the HTML5 spec probably doesn't need to be lectured on the benefit of
> vendor neutrality, but I'm happy to add a sentence that describes that -
> e.g., tacking on a sentence at the end that says "HTML5 is intended to
> be a vendor-neutral language, implemented by a large number of vendors
> across a broad range of scenarios."

I've rephrased that section to try to address your concerns while keeping
the key points in the text.

> "Vendor lock-in" is an offensive phrase, and I would prefer that we not
> try to make the W3C HTML5 specification a political manifesto.

I really don't understand why "vendor lock-in" is offensive; could you
elaborate?

In any case I've avoided use of that phrase in the new text.