Re: The compatibility DOCTYPE

Jirka Kosek 2008-11-12 00.16:
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> What does it lack? What does it hamper?
>
> As I have already written: "it doesn't follow neither rules for proper
> public identifier nor it shows that its in HTML5 only to accommodate
> legacy content producers"

I thought it was obvious that I asked about its tecnical lacking.
Would "doctype-html" be better (than "doctype html")?

>> But on that day, what then?  Do you think "xslt-compat" will have them
>> ask *more* questions or ask them earlier? Why not have them ask the
>> *right* question instead? "Why that longer variant, when it appears to
>> repeat what is allready said and which the much more common short
>> variant says too?"
>
> I don't think that "xslt-compat" (or its variants) is particularly good,

E.g. it doesn't 100% fullfill your 2nd requirement above:  "shows
that its in HTML5 only to accommodate legacy content producers".

> it is just compromise. Personally I would of course prefer proper public
> identifier like -//W3C//DTD HTML 5.0//EN. But I can see reasons
> (although I don't agree with them) why some people are against such
> identifier. It is pointless to repeat arguments again and again, it is
> waste of time. There have to be some sort of compromise and consensus. I
> don't see how putting new identifiers on table helps in forming such
> consensus.

I understand the impatience. But it seems like the f2f meeting
looked for a better identifier. The current solution is this:

	<!USELESS THING "crappy-content-producer">

But I thinkthat  something like

	<!USELESS thing "USELESS-thing">

would be more neutral and consistent.
--