Re: UA norm for redirects (both META and http)

HI Geoffrey,

On May 29, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> On 29 May 2008, at 17:28, Robert J Burns wrote:

>>> The HTML5 spec should only be used to specify what is required for
>>> interoperability, nothing else.  If the WG wants to recommend UI
>>> for browsers, it should do so in a seperate document, so as to not
>>> confuse what is required for interoperability.  Either that, or
>>> take this up as an issue with individual browsers, because unless
>>> the implementors want to do this, the specification will be ignored.
>>
>> This is needed for interoperability. If an author uses meta
>> redirects that are handled properly by one UA, but cannot count on
>> them being handled properly by another UA, that is an
>> interoperability issue.
>
> What UI is used for redirects, however, is not an interoperability
> issue. The specification already defines how meta redirects are to
> be followed. I see no interoperability issues that leaves open.

Imagine an author is creating a meta redirect and uses a specific
browser to test the redirect. This author finds that the specific
browser handles the redirect nicely and decides the accessibility
advice given up until now is no longer necessary (because the browser
used for the testing provides sufficient UI to notify vision impaired
users that a redirect has occurred and that  the now out-of-date
bookmark has been update on the user»s behalf). Now the advice
previously given to not use such redirects, but instead provide a page
linking to the new page, seems to this author unnecessary. The author
decides, there’s no reason to even provide a delay to notify the user
of a redirect (one that may eventually expire). However, since only
the test browser does the correct thing in this situation, we have an
interoperability issue where other users will not be able to learn of
the redirect.

That to me is an interoperability issue. Besides, HTML5 already
address all sorts of issues that aren’t even as much of an
interoperability issue as I just described, so I'm not sure why we
have this double standard in passing judgment on issues and proposals.

Take care,
Rob