Re: new IDENT data type and more thorough specification of id and xml:id

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 22:41:02 +0200
To: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
CC: HTML Issue Tracking WG <public-html@w3.org>
Robert J Burns wrote:

> Add a new IDENT data type for the id attribute and clearly specify the
> CSS selector and DOM method processing for xml:id of type ID and id of
> type IDENT (helps facilitate compound documents and current authoring
> practice).[1]

Maybe I have missed some previous discussion, but what is the benefit of
using xml:id in XML serialization, given the problems caused by
incompatibility with HTML serialization which uses id attribute?

I'm in favor of using xml:id in newly created pure XML vocabularies, but
I think that for XML serialization of HTML5 it just adds superfluous
complexity.

				Jirka