Re: ISSUE-47 (bookmark-and-clipping-support): Markup support for bookmark and clipping support of documents [HTML 5 spec]

Dear WG,

Some prefatory remarks:
Gregory has been adding issues to the issue tracker upon my request.
Nearly all of these issues have been discussed before on the list, but
not been addressed in the draft even after months and months. There
are however a few issues that are newly introduced. They are issues I
meant to bring up in 2007, but found myself thoroughly discouraged by
the lack of progress, and the lack of adherence to principles.

So let me proceed now and open discussion of these issues so that the
WG can get a complete airing of opinions on those issues. Of course it
is perfectly acceptable to continue discussing any of the other issues
previously deliberated here and on the wiki. However, let me focus on
the few issue that are new.

Issue-47:
This issue (now Issue-47) seeks to address the need of authors of
archival documents and also users of documents who have write access.
WG members can read more on the wiki page[1]. The proposed solution
for authors and users who want to mark specific points in a document
or to mark a portion of the document is to add one void element:
BOOKMARK;  and a global attribute: @clip. The @clip attribute is
primarily for use on the BOOKMARK element whose default display is
'none'. However, the @clip attribute could be used on any two or more
elements to mark the portion of the document and give it a unique name
(all of the clip attributes with the same value uniquely identify the
clip from the beginning of the  first element with the @clip attribute
to the end of the last element with the @clip attribute; so more than
two would be a document error, but have a well specified meaning).

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ClipBookmark>