Re: Is Flickr an Edge Case? (was Re: HTML Action Item 54)

On 5/27/08 1:59 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> Title" on listing pages, which is:
>  * not useful, since if alt is used as a replacement for the image:
>    + alt="" makes it appear that there is nothing there

Yes, no argument there. Any user should know that there is in fact an image
there, even if they can't see it, because they may want to copy or save it.

>    + alt="Photo Title" duplicates content already in the page

How is that in any way a problem that rises to the language level to be
solved? A Flickr page is a shell surrounding one subject image. In this
instance, @alt is the most relevant place to have meaningful content about
the image. Any visible title, be it <Hn>, <TITLE>, or otherwise, is a
duplication of the semantics presented by the image, not the other way
around.

> I don't think we should use "standards are not laws" as an excuse
> for adding conformance requirements that we neither expect nor want
> people to meet.

You may not want or expect people to meet the same requirements that were
already in HTML 4.01, but I'm pretty sure I do.

> Unreasonable requirements can reduce respect for
> and conformance to the standard as a whole.

The current draft instructs user agents to implement image recognition
algorithms to deal with missing alt. Do you find that particularly
reasonable, or for that matter, respectable?

-