Re: Next steps for the ARIA syntax discussion

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 15:23:36 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-xhtml2@w3.org" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

I agree that managing the interactions between Get/SetAttribute[NS]
and the DOM is important.  I will respond in detail to your (and
Anne's) points about this in a day or two, but in the mean time I can
set the stage for that discussion by outlining what I personally think
adoping the aria: approach means in detail.  What follows is meant to
be set of unconditional strategies, that is, not requiring any
diagnosis as to parse type (XML vs HTML) or browser family:

For an ARIA property whose name is 'foo':

      Today                             At some point in the future

 In documents, use an attribute
 spelled 'aria:foo'
(in XML documents, include an NS        [use any prefix]
 declaration "xmlns:aria=
 'http://www.w3.org/2005/07/aaa'")

 In script, to get the value of         [use GetAttributeNS('http://.../aaa',
 the property, use                                          'foo')]
 GetAttribute("aria:foo")

 In script, to set the value of         [use SetAttributeNS('http://.../aaa',
 the property, use                                          'foo',...)]
 SetAttribute("aria:foo",...)

 For access from UA implementation,     [test attribute's namespaceURI
 e.g. for interface with accessibility   field against 'http://...aaa' and
 APIs, test attribute node's name        localName against 'foo']
 field against "aria:foo"

 For CSS selectors, use
  @namespace aria url(http://.../aaa)   [ use only [aria|foo] ]
  . . .
  [aria\:foo], [aria|foo]

The right-hand column is provided as an indication of where we might
hope to get at some point, but the proposal does _not_ depend on
that.  The strategies in the left-hand column will work today and will
continue to work indefinitely, insofar as implementations continue to
respect the relevant specs as they do today.

Known issues:

 1) CSS will not work for IE, _may_ be fixed in IE8;
 2) GetAttribute will not work for Safari version 2.0 and earlier (but
    works in 3.1);
 3) SetAttribute will not work for Opera (but this is a bug against
    the existing DOM specs. and they _should_ be willing to fix it!)

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk