Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:19:03 +0200
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>, HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> which seems to me to hit the nail on the head.  ALT is mandatory,
> but if a user refuses to provide ALT text, then the editing tool
> is correct to emit INVALID HTML (and, presumably, to warn the user
> that this regrettable behaviour has been necessary).

So conformance criteria for a tool include the possibility of non-
conformance for output instances. I think the test suite for
an authoring tool is going to be a bit of a syllogism.

   tool A is conformant because it outputs conformant instances
   but since it should also be able to output non-conformant instances,
   conformance is nill. So it's conformant and non-conformant at the same
   time.

And I hope nobody has certification in mind !

</Daniel>