From: Andrew Fedoniouk [mailto:news@terrainformatica.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:20 PM
To: Justin James
Cc: 'Sam Kuper'; 'Frederico Caldeira Knabben'; 'HTMLWG'
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG editing: execCommand & co

Justin James wrote:
> Sam –

> It is unfortunate that tool authors are forced to make a choice between doing things in a simple, straightforward manner, and doing this in a way that generates correct output. I think, given the widespread usage of widgets like FCK Editor, that it may be time for us to consider a form widget to assist with this. For example:

> The spec would then instruct the user agent that it should render the contents of @bodytext over the area of the input element on the screen as if it were HTML unto itself. Upon form submission, @bodytext would be sent as the value. This is an EXTREMELY rough outline of what I am envisioning, but I think that if we start with this as the kernel for the idea, and shape it to meet the rest of the spec in intent and usage, etc., that we would have a big win for usability, accessibility, tool authors, browser authors, and users over all. It would unlock huge swaths of possible functionality, make it easier for application writers who might need something like this without a full HTML editor, and so on.

I've implemented this as [1]:

<richtext content-style="richtext.css" tools="toolbar-selector">
    Hello <em>World</em>
</richtext>

The <richtext> has CDATA inside parsing model, thus its content is not a
part of the page but
rather bodytext of yours.
The richtext accepts subset of HTML -  only those features that can be
WYSIWYGed in
non-contradictory manner.

@content-style points on style sheet that uses a subset of CSS for the
same reason as above.
That style sheet is allowed to define only simple selectors like: tag
{}  and tag.class {}
Internal implementation parses this CSS and builds UI (@tools) for the
user.  For example set of rules:
em {...}
em.cool {...}
em.nice {...}
will make a dropdown list for the user under the button "em" with
options {default} | "cool" | "nice" .

And no other styling is allowed to be edited from user side. In
principle. I suspect that having such input element is the only way
to provide acceptable WYSIWYG that will produce semantically meaningful
markup.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com