Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

On 5/14/08 2:47 PM, "Dave Singer" <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> Generally if I am designing a tool, I want to make sure I always
> generate valid output -- that I am not dependent on my user.  You
> seem to be saying here that the tool must conform to the rules by
> producing non-conformant output.  This may be a difficult message to
> get across. :-)

The Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines have covered this case in
detail. At the lowest level of conformance, there is guidance on how to
handle it, to wit: prompt the author for information that is missing but
necessary, and if it is still not provided, warn the author before the
content is saved that the resulting content will not meet WCAG A. At higher
levels, this is covered in even more detail.

Here are some of the relevant techniques for level A conformance:

    *   Technique B.1.3.1-1 [Sufficient]: Ensuring that any action that the
authoring tool takes without complete author knowledge that causes content
to be added or modified has the result of not introducing new contraventions
of the level "A" Web content accessibility benchmarks.
    * Technique B.1.3.1-2 [Advisory]: Using prompting to elicit information
from the author when necessary (see Guideline B.2.1).

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-ATAG20-TECHS-20080310/#gl-tool-conventions-scA

And:

B.2.1.1 Prompt "A" Accessible: If authors are prompted for any information
as content is being added or updated (e.g., by an image insertion dialog),
then the tool also prominently prompts for any accessibility information
required for that content to meet the level "A" Web content accessibility
benchmarks.

    * Technique B.2.1.1-1 [Sufficient]: Ensuring that, whenever content that
requires accessibility information from the author in order to agree with
the level "A" Web content accessibility benchmarks is added/updated, the
author is informed of the need for the additional information by prompting
mechanisms that are appropriate for the type of information in question (see
Appendix A: Prompting for Various Types of Accessibility Information).
    * Technique B.2.1.1-2 [Advisory]: Grouping input controls when several
pieces of accessibility information are all required from the author as part
of an accessible authoring practice.
    * Technique B.2.1.1-3 [Advisory]: Checking all author responses to
prompts for spelling, grammar, and reading level (where applicable).

B.2.1.2 Warn "A" Accessible: If an authoring action or instruction will
always lead to the creation of content that cannot be made to meet the level
"A" Web content accessibility benchmarks other than by making an alternative
version, then a warning is displayed.

    * Technique B.2.1.2-1 [Sufficient]: Ensuring that all instruction text
that, if followed exactly by the author, leads to content being created or
modified so as to meet the level "A" Web content accessibility benchmarks.
    * Technique B.2.1.2-2 [Sufficient]: Consistently labeling help documents
or other documentation that, if followed exactly by the author, would lead
to content being created or modified to not meet the level "A" Web content
accessibility benchmarks.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-ATAG20-TECHS-20080310/#prompt-user-scA

-