Re: access to local path data in input file-- or alternative way for users to access local imagery from web applications

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Dailey, David P. wrote:

> However, [apologies in advance] the whatwg folks of late entertained an
> idea I put forth with less than thorough rejection. How to put this
> accurately...? The idea was indeed rejected near as I could tell.
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/whatwg@lists.whatwg.org/msg09354.html

This e-mail is in fact still in the list of outstanding issues:

   http://www.whatwg.org/issues/#WF2

(Search for "access to local path". For some reason some of the replies
are in the WF3-file-access folder; I haven't done a good job of organising
the forms-related e-mails. Sorry about that.)

I'm waiting for the forms task force to report back before working on
forms issues, hence the lack of response so far.

Incidentally, the blob work being discussed in public-webapi recently may
be the way this gets solved. It seems to directly address your use case if
I've understood it correctly.

Cheers,