Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Is the goal to make a show (which is what nailing colors to the mast
> comes down to)

Maybe on some level it /is/. This does not mean the show is not
worthwhile, if it lends some consistency to what has gone before. I am
not a believer in the new just for the sake of it. I don't take progress
as an evolutionary elevator. The lift can just as easily go straight to
the basement. Lets face it there is a certain degree of smoke and
mirrors going on, where suggestions are being made that superficially
may look like improvements as they may serve edge cases, but they are
actually retrograde. This *whole* @alt issue is one.

>or to improve accessibility?
> I would argue the goal is the latter.

Ditto.

> Perhaps requiring @alt in all cases is the way to do that, but I think
> we need to keep the end goal firmly in mind instead of wedding ourselves
> to particular mechanisms.

Ditto, I keep an open mind but then again I am not selling anything, nor
have I an opaque agenda.

Josh