Re: html5 nitpicks

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Jim Jewett wrote:

> Section 1.3.1. Common conformance requirements for APIs exposed to
> JavaScript
>
> """
> Unless other specified, if a DOM attribute that is a signed numeric
> type is assigned a negative value, a NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR exception must
> be raised.
> """
> I assume that should be *un*signed

That paragraph is now gone.

> 2.1.2. Resource metadata management
> """
> The compatMode DOM attribute must return the literal string
> "CSS1Compat" unless the document has been set to quirks mode by the
> HTML parser, in which case it must instead return the literal string
> "BackCompat". The document can also be set to limited quirks mode
> (also known as "almost standards" mode).
> """
>
> What is the literal string used to set limited quirks mode?

The compatMode DOM attribute must return the literal string "CSS1Compat"
unless the document has been set to quirks mode.

I've rephrased the paragraph to be clearer though.

> Is there a list of which quirks are supported in that mode?  (Is that
> that purpose of the "As far as parsing goes" box just below?)

Yeah the red box indicates this isn't yet fully resolved.

> 3.2.1. Common parser idioms
> (and again in 3.2.6. Tokens)
>
> As I read this, "here 'is the' string" tokenizes to the 4-tuple ('is,
> here, string, the'), and the single-quote marks around 'is the' do not
> function to group.  This should be called out explicitly.

Why would one use quote marks in the token attributes? I'm not sure I
follow.

> 3.2.3.6. Lists of integers
>
> """
> A valid list of integers is a number of valid integers separated by
> U+002C COMMA characters, with no other characters (e.g. no space
> characters).
> """
> but the algorithm allows spaces.
>
> I personally think spaces should be allowed, but if they aren't, then
> the parsing should be explicit that this allowance is for error
> recovery.

The algorithm does a whole lot of stuff for error recovery. I'm not sure
it would be possible to cover each case accurately.