Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 15:37:21 +0100
To: "Justin James" <j_james@mindspring.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org
2008/5/9 Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>:

> Anything that cannot be machine-checked should not be in the spec.

Justin,

This is bonkers. Large parts of the spec can't be machine-checked. How can a
machine detect whether text in a <p> element is being used as a heading, for
instance? I could go on listing cases, but I won't.

I think you may be confusing a schema (something for computers to use to
assess validity) with a specification (something for humans to use as
guidance when writing code or markup for computers).

Best regards,

Sam