Re: alt crazyness (Re: alt and authoring practices)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 14:40:31 +0200
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Henri Sivonen 2008-05-03 12.08:
> On May 3, 2008, at 12:23 , Daniel Glazman wrote:
>> And I don't expect non-visual user agents to implement such image
>> analysis heuristics just because spec authors think they'll do it.
>
> In general, investments in software don't just happen because spec
> authors said so.
>
> This an economic problem: Does the benefit of implementable image
> analysis [...] justify the opportunity cost? That is, do AT vendors
> get a bigger win by doing something else instead? ...

I think we can solve this issue satisfyingly, for all parts and
partners, simply by specifying the following 2 lines:

ęShould the author fail to insert an alt attribute, then an image
analysis tool steps in and analyses the image on behalf of the author,
and insert the image analysis as alt text.
--
leif halvard silli