Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:49:16 +0300
Cc: ian@hixie.ch, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>

On Mar 31, 2008, at 11:28, David Carlisle wrote:
> The DOM  models the internal memory structire of a browser, What
> passes
> between applications is typically the serial form. That's the essence
> of the definition of a markup language, that it defines a common
> language that can be shared between people or applications.

We can ask browsers to use the XML serialization for clipboad export
on platforms that have pre-existing deployed XML-based clipboard
flavor for MathML. That will have to be a reserialization of the DOM
anyway, so the syntax from which the DOM was built no longer matters.

> There is a big difference between say dropping quotes around
> attributes
> that can be automatically put back in for any tree (without any
> specific
> language knowledge, and parsing  string of unmarked up text to infer
> some tree structure.

The right way to do either is to run an HTML5 parser.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi