Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

From: Michael Kohlhase <m.kohlhase@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:16:31 +0200
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
CC: hsivonen@iki.fi, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

David Carlisle wrote
>> What I think is problematic is using product-specific formats instead
>> of Content MathML.
>>

> yes it is problematic. In MathML3 we're trying (slowly) to formalize the
> specification of the annotations used (usual diffiulties surrounding
> whether we should use the legacy names or new ones based on mime tyes or
> namespaces or..., but that doesn't directly concern this thread)
>
> personally I think there would be some hope of agreement along the lines
> of specifying that html+mathml used a profile of mathml that only
> allowed content mathml as a annotation-xml (so renderers only need
> understand presentation mathml) but that annottation-xml was confined to
> just this one use.

Since we are all speaking just for ourselves, let me say that this
sounds like a good way to go forward. I am no more of a friend of
vendor-specific markup than you are.

Michael

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase@jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007