Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:46:33 +0300
Cc: public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>

On Mar 30, 2008, at 13:36, David Carlisle wrote:

>> That's a bad analogy. Annotation is like ....
>
> So html5 should drop the alt attribute and instead mandate that all
> html5 processors are able to infer necessary information by analysing
> supplied image data?

If the current state of AI made that feasible, yes. But the current
state of AI doesn't make it feasible.

> This appears no different to me than saying that
> you should only supply the presentation form of a math expression and
> that other systems should have to infer what they need from that
> presentation.

I'm not against including dual Presentation and Content MathML given
the state of the art. What I think is problematic is using product-
specific formats instead of Content MathML. Allowing product-specific
formats diminishes the incentive for vendors to use Content MathML for
semantic round-tripping.

Using dual Presentation and Content MathML wouldn't solve the problem
of out-of-sync data branches, but at least there'd be a level playing
field for apps importing MathML for editing.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi