Re: [whatwg] Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Doug Schepers wrote:

> You talk about including graphics and diagrams in a very generic way,
> without specifically mentioning vector graphics in general, or SVG in
> particular.  I believe most people on this thread have assumed that you
> are talking about SVG.  However, it's not clear from your public
> statements that that's your intent.

I haven't looked in detail at the vector graphics side of the problem yet.
Off-hand it looks like SVG would be a reasonably good fit for some of the
requirements, in particular ease of implementation and a reasonably
well-defined scripting environment, but it also isn't a perfect fit for
everything, for example it probably isn't supported in as wide a
collection of editors as, say, the Windows Metafile format, and isn't
supported in as wide an installed base of browsers as, say, VML. I do not
wish to prematurely limit our options, doing so would not be fair to the
Web authoring community.