Re: <input type=search> and role=search

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:00:06 +0200
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>

On Mar 26, 2008, at 16:17, Ben Boyle wrote:
> Interesting. Other than having the semantic type of 'search' (and
> benefits outlined here), does it function pretty much like a text
> input? How does it differ?

It can have a popup of past searches. It has a DOM event for
performing JavaScript-based searches as the user types. (And it looks
like a proper search widget on Mac OS X.)

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2004_07.html#005890

P.S. Looks like Facebook.com has switched to <input type=text> since I
last checked.
--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi