<input type=search> and role=search

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:09:38 +0200
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org

The WAI-ARIA draft has a landmark role 'search':
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#search

Safari implements <input type=search> which gives the right widget on
Mac OS X and is already used on top sites apple.com and facebook.com.

I think <input type=search> is preferable over role=search because
getting the right visual widget gives designers an incentive to flag
the search field as a search field without having to do an
afterthought accessibility annotation pass. Thus, with <input
type=search> the accessibility landmark comes 'for free' from the
author point of view.

<input type=search> has excellent fallback behavior. In browsers that
don't know about <input type=search>, it degrades gracefully to <input
type=text>.

I suggest adopting <input type=search> in HTML and, thus, removing the
need for an accessibility-specific annotation for search.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi