Re: [whatwg] Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:19:24 +0000
CC: public-html@w3.org

James Graham wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>   4. Writing documents that include diagrams that include
>>      typographically-correct mathematics.
>
> The inverse of 4 is also a requirement i.e. mathematics that contains
> diagrams. See e.g. [1]

Just to complete the circle, I should mention the use cases for
html-inside-maths and html-inside graphics. As an example of the first consider
a mathematics tutor with questions like

4/9 = ?/3

Where the ? is to be filled in by the student. This seems like a good use for a
html input element inside maths content.

As an example of the second, consider creating something like [1] or [2] where
you want to use the features of the graphics language to rotate or filter html
content (arguably these particular examples could also be achieved with
enhancements to CSS).

[1] http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/demos/photos.svg
[2] http://www.double.co.nz/video_test/video.svg