Re: [whatwg] Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:03:17 +0200
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Mar 25, 2008, at 08:29, Ian Hickson wrote:
>  3. Writing a document by hand, with inline diagrams imported from a
>     graphics package.
>     Priorities:
>      * Compatibility with existing graphics packages
>      * Resistance to errors (e.g. not brittle in the face of syntax
> errors)
>      * Scriptable (retained-mode, with DOM support, without requiring
>        cross-frame scripting)
>      * Round-tripping (the ability to take image fragments from a
> Web page
>        and edit them)
[...]
> Now, please, if I've missed something that you want to do, please
> let me
> know as soon as possible. I intend to start working on solutions to
> these
> problems tomorrow, and things that aren't on the list of problems will
> likely not be considered as constraints.

The point
  * Ease of implementation (are UAs willing to implement new formats?)
applies to graphics as well.

Your list missed these non-diagram graphics use cases:
  * Content-reinforcing contextual progressive-enhancement eye-candy
(that should degrade particularly gracefully).
  * Creating Flash-like visually "high-impact" brand marketing sites
with openly-specified formats (and in a search engine-friendly way).

> In particular, people seemed to jump to solutions that the above
> problems
> don't imply.

  * DOM-level consistency with XHTML+SVG+MathML for script reusability.
  * Straight-forward conversion to XHTML+SVG+MathML so that sites may
opt to programmatically convert to XHTML+SVG+MathML for legacy
browsers (the browsers that are now current) without undue software
engineering hardship.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi