Re: Details on internal encoding declarations

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:56:12 +0200
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Mar 20, 2008, at 14:16, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> 1. If the new encoding is UTF-16, change it to UTF-8.
>
> Please be specific about UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE, UTF-32, UTF-32BE and
> UTF-32LE.

The spec should say whether the substitution happens on the
declaration string level or on a resolved encoding object level (after
processing all the plentiful legacy aliases). The encoding object
wouldn't be available when the UA doesn't support UTF-16 (permitted
but unlikely) or UTF-32 (likely).

I'd expect the substitution to happen on the string in this case but
on the encoding object in the Latin 1, Thai and GBK cases elsewhere.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi