Re: Canvas API mailing list

Hi, Anne, Chris-

Chris Wilson wrote (on 3/17/08 1:51 PM):
> An excellent point.

It is an excellent question.  I should have been more clear when I first
posted to that list, and I will make it clearer in my next email.

W3C has a Patent Policy for this, imperfect but still applicable: [1]

"A W3C Working Group frequently finds itself in the position of
receiving reviews and input from other parties who are not participants
in the Working Group, including:

     * Another W3C Working Group;
     * A meeting guest, including an observer during the Technical
Plenary Week;
     * The general public on a mailing list."

"When a contribution is being considered for actual inclusion in a
document intended to become a Recommendation, the Chair should ask the
Contributor to disclose any essential claims, and if there are any, the
terms under which those claims would be licensed. Lack of a response to
this request is a red flag."

The publication of the Canvas API is under the HTML WG's Patent Policy
agreement.  Presumably the editor, the chairs, etc., are keeping track
of where they are getting suggestions (for everything, not just Canvas),
and applying the proper judgment and due diligence regarding licensing
terms.

Fortunately, public-canvas-api has a subscription list and we can more
easily track who made which contribution, and when.  It's rather better
than getting feedback off of blog comments or random email lists.

Still, it is imperfect, and I wish there were a better solution to your
larger problem.

I hope that allays your concerns.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/12/22-pp-faq.html#non-participants

Regards-