Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:35:06 -0500
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: HTMLWG Tracking WG <public-html@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Changing the Namespace spec not to require a URI is asking for name
> collisions. And trying to register a new URI scheme just for naming this
> is a non-starter; there is already a scheme for that purpose ("URN:").

Hey, if we can use "url:xlink" for this, that's fine too.  I don't care what the
setup is as long as there is a short prefix that all namespace URIs people have
to really deal with on the web have in common ("w3c:", "urn:", "www:", even
"http://w3.org" might be OK, but is starting to push it length-wise) and the
rest of the namespace URI is just a short name for the specification involved
("svg", "xhtml", whatever).

That's assuming that hand-authoring (including of scripts that have to use
createElementNS and company) is at all a goal, of course.  If it's not, then
there's nothing to discuss here.

-Boris