Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:41:27 -0500
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
CC: HTMLWG Tracking WG <public-html@w3.org>

Ben Boyle wrote:
>>  How is that worth the complexity of having two different attribute
>>  tokenization rules that get toggled in mid-parse?
>
> It's funny (ironic) you say that, because from my point of view you
> are proposing the complexity of two different attribute tokenization
> rules that get toggled depending on the source serialisation.
>
> We must be from different worlds ~:)

Henri is coming from the "I've had to actually write an HTML parser" world.
Having two different sets of rules, A and B, with rules A being used to
determine when to start or stop using rules B, is a major implementation pain.
Especially when one really wants to use an off-the-shelf solution for B because
implementing B correctly is not as easy as it seems (judging by the number of
incorrect implementations I've seen).

-Boris