Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:19:06 +0200
Cc: HTMLWG Tracking WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>

On Mar 15, 2008, at 19:10, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote (on 3/15/08 1:03 PM):
>>
>>> Because it preserves compatibility with all other SVG content and
>>> UAs, thus capitalizing on the network effect.
>> That's a fallacy. As I have pointed out before, *no* SVG-in-text/
>> html scheme can capitalize on compatibility with deployed SVG-as-
>> XML clients, because the clients trip up on the text/html Content-
>> Type or at least the HTML wrapped around the SVG image.
>
> No, that's the fallacy.
>
> As has been pointed out numerous times, just because a piece of
> content starts in an HTML file doesn't guarantee it's going to stay
> there.  It could very well be copy-pasted into a standalone file,
> with absolutely no HTML in it, and be expected to work in an
> existing SVG UA.

If you paste
>> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
>> <circle cx="100" cy="50" r="25" fill=red stroke="blue" />
>> <circle cx="100" cy="50" r="15" fill="yellow" stroke="blue" />
>> </svg>

into as standalone file, it still doesn't parse as XML 1.0. Therefore,
your suggestion about handling fill=red case doesn't help copy-
pasteability. Now, you might define it as non-conforming, but the
bottom line remains that you can't just copy and paste it on the
source level and make it parse as XML 1.0.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi