Re: Error handling for SVG and MathML in HTML

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>  >  I don't think this meets the legacy content mangement system
>  >  requirement. Specifically consider a text/html blog that chooses to put
>  >  its content (potentially including user-entered content) inside a svg
>  >  foreignObject (to use filters or transforms on the content, for example)
>  >  so the embedding is html -> svg -> html. Your scheme would effectively
>  >  cause draconian error handling of the whole page in this case.
>
>  How interleaved can SVG/MathML and HTML be? I may be missing a key
>  point, but I imagine an <svg> tag starts an SVG context and there's no
>  HTML in there until the svg finishes...

My apologies James... I see that is your exact point.

It would be ideal that with text/html parsing rules apply to the
nested html markup... parser building the dom and working like: found
SVG element, parse element as XML; parsing children ... found html
element, parsing element as text/html ... and so on. The result being
a conforming HTML5 DOM.

(That's right isn't it... even when non-conforming markup is parsed,
the parsing rules are such that a conforming DOM is constructed?)