Re: Error handling for SVG and MathML in HTML

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:24:53 +0000
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Ben Boyle wrote:

> I expect the HTML document to be recovered, and that's my top
> priority. I expect the SVG/MathML to be rendered as an error, like a
> broken image/broken object. If I referenced an image (jpeg, gif, etc.)
> that was broken, the browser wouldn't attempt to render it. I'd like
> to see SVG/MathML handled in the same way.

I don't think this meets the legacy content mangement system
requirement. Specifically consider a text/html blog that chooses to put
its content (potentially including user-entered content) inside a svg
foreignObject (to use filters or transforms on the content, for example)
so the embedding is html -> svg -> html. Your scheme would effectively
cause draconian error handling of the whole page in this case.

It would also be slightly odd to have a scheme where the UA has to
recover from the error and parse the entire SVG/MathML fragment (to
determine the location of the closing tag) but was not allowed to
display any of the parsed content to the user.

"Mixed up signals
Bullet train
People snuffed out in the brutal rain"
--Conner Oberst