UA support for Content-Disposition header (filename parameter)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:48:31 +0100
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Here's a problem that plagued me a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure
the situation hasn't improved since then, at least not in IE. Maybe
HTML5 should say something about it.

Use case: have the UA offer a "save as" dialogue, including the filename.

Mechanism: Content-Disposition HTTP header, as defined in RFC2616
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.19.5.1>)

Example:

Problem: this works fine in all browsers, as long as the filename does
not contain non-Latin1 characters.

RFC 2231 (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2231.html>) defines an
escaping, and that is supported by Firefox. Example:

IE does not support RFC 2231 (as of IE7), but allows percent escaped
UTF-8, such as in:

However, that only works when IE is configured for UTF-8 URL encoding,
which is (as far as I recall) not the default in countries using Asian
languages.

Proposal: require UAs to support RFC 2231 (UTF-8 variant).

BR, Julian