Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

On Mar 12, 2008, at 03:20, Chasen Le Hara wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
> wrote:
>> * When SVG in text/html is not supported, the icon must degrade into
>> nothingness.
>
> Henri, I don't understand this part of the use case. As an author, I
> *would* want to be able to have a backup icon or text displayed if
> SVG is not supported. I can't think of a circumstance in which I
> wouldn't want at least a backup image, if not backup text (at the
> least) displayed if SVG wasn't supported (at all, or in text/html).

Including a fallback image is a different use case.

This use case assumes that the icon is an enhancement that isn't
strictly essential, so the icon is not considered to be worth the
trouble of generating a fallback image for legacy UAs. Generating a
fallback bitmap automatically is not part of the use case, because in
practice hooking up e.g. Batik to the publishing workflow would raise
the bar too much and cull out many potential casual publishers.
Generating the fallback bitmap manually is not part of the use case,
because it would be too cumbersome.

As for fallback text, it isn't needed for this use case since the icon
would merely be a multimedia reinforcement of what the associated
prose is about anyway.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi