Re: Clarify what it means for the system identifier to be missing

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:16:33 +0000
Cc: HTML Issue Tracking WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On 27 Feb 2008, at 22:20, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:58:02 +0100, Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>> On 27 Feb 2008, at 21:51, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure I remember the tokenizer making a difference
>>> between the empty string and it being absent. Are you sure?
>>
>> I don't see anything (looking even closer than before) about it.
>
> From
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-tokenisation.html
>
> "When a DOCTYPE token is created, its name, public identifier, and
> system identifier must be marked as missing, ..."
>
> "Set the DOCTYPE token's system identifier to the empty string, ..."

That's an awfully long way from where it is defined as being missing
could it be mentioned in parenthesis in 8.2.4.7. The initial insertion
mode (where the list of DOCTYPEs that triggers quirks is) when it is
missing?. Also, it seems that it never actually sets it to be _not_
missing anywhere.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>