Re: Marking Up Poetry

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:12:58 +0000
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>, public-html@w3.org
On 29/02/2008, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Sam Kuper wrote:
> >
> > **E.g. statements like "the p element represents a paragraph", which
> > uses the prose-specific terms "paragraph", should be neutralised.
>

> Note that "paragraph" is a defined term in HTML5, which specifically says
> that it covers poetry:
>
> | A paragraph is typically a block of text with one or more sentences that
> | discuss a particular topic, as in typography, but can also be used for
> | more general thematic grouping. For instance, an address is also a
> | paragraph, as is a part of a form, a byline, or a stanza in a poem.
>   -- http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#paragraphs

Dear Ian,

I should have addressed this more explicitly in my post; sorry for the
confusion caused.

I read that paragraph before making my last post, and my analysis of it was
that it didn't address Olaf's objections (as I have understood them so far)
because it conflates stanzas and paragraphs, which he sees as being objects
from disjoint domains (poetry and prose respectively).

All best,

Sam