Re: URIs in HTML5 and issues arising

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 04:35:50 +0900
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, uri@w3.org, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, 2008-06-30 12:21 -0700:

> > On Jun 30, 2008, at 18:16, Julian Reschke wrote:
> >
> >> I personally dislike the idea of intermediates recoding, but that doesn't
> >> mean it doesn't happen...
>
> I have heard anecdotes of some Japanese portals transcoding various
> things to Shift-JIS, but only at about third hand, and I've never
> actually encountered this.  -Tim

I can attest to it being the case that transcoding was done in the
past for certain services within networks of some Japanese mobile
operators, but I can't say I know whether it's still happening or
not. I think it was more of an issue for e-mail than for their
browsing services. I seems to still be the case that many or most
e-mail client apps (MUAs) on handsets deployed in Japan don't
support UTF-8 (only ISO-2022-JP and Shift-JIS and maybe EUC-JP).

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/