Re: URIs in HTML5 and issues arising

From: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:28:30 +0300
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, uri@w3.org, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

Hi Henri,

On Jun 30, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2008, at 10:10, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> if you use UTF8 the page may be broken by recoding.
>

> Is there any legitimate use case (that the HTML WG should care
> about) for recoding *away* from UTF-8?

Why would you even ask this question? You're applying a principle of
this WG (legitimate use case) to the entire worldwide web authoring
community. We're not talking about document conformance here, we're
talking about error recovery. So we can't simply dismiss the errors as
not constituting legitimate use cases. We already classified them as
errors because they co not constitute legitimate use cases.

Take care,
Rob