RE: encoding of characters in query parameters, was: Confusing use of "URI" to refer to IRIs, and IRI handling in the DOM

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >> Understood again, but maybe it makes sense to ask the
> question again,
> >> now that all browser vendors are actually part of the same
> >> specification effort.
> >
> > To my knowledge, using the page encoding for the query part
> of the URL
> > is still required for interoperability with a number of servers. We
> > would not be willing to break those servers.
>
> OK, thanks for letting us know.
>
> Would you consider supporting a document-wide opt-in to use
> UTF-8 though?

I think the only realistic way of doing that is to encode the document in
UTF-8, regardless of what this specification says. The Content-Type header
(with the charset parameter) would be the opt-in.

Regards,
Brian