RE: heads-up about "new" URLs section in HTML5 editor's draft

From: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:13:33 -0400
To: "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, "'Michael\(tm\) Smith'" <mike@w3.org>, <public-html@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Julian Reschke
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 2:29 PM
To: Justin James
Cc: 'Mark Baker'; 'Michael(tm) Smith'; public-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: heads-up about "new" URLs section in HTML5 editor's draft

>> Most people can't tell the difference between a URI and a URL and use the
>> terms interchangeably. Heck, I can barely discern the distinction most of
>> the time. Do we really want to make things even more confusing?

> You mean, more confusing than calling things a URL which are not URLs,
> let alone URIs?

That only causes confusion for the 1% - 3% of developers who not only know
and understand the distinction, but actually care, and for whom the
distinction is important because a sense of what is proper. For the real of
the programmers out there, this is not a point of confusion in the
slightest. :)

If HTML 5 is all about ratifying the "status quo" on stuff like AJAX, let's
go whole hog and do it right. Let's eliminate the URL/URI distinction.

J.Ja