Re: @headers on th too or just td?

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:41:54 +0200
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Leif Halvard Silli 2008-06-27 16.33:

> Steven Faulkner 2008-06-27 12.00:
>

>> Considering that, it's a bit strange that they allow the headers
>> attribute on th elements. Having a header implies that the cell
>> contains data, in which case it should be marked up with td. That's
>> probably why HTML5 have removed it from there, as it wouldn't make
>> sense.

> Like I have said before, HTML 4 seems occupied by *limiting* the
> association - not associating too much. *That* is the reason why it says
> you should use a TD if a header genuinely plays the role both of data
> and of header. (For instance, a cell might be a header for only a select
> group of cells.)

Let me elaborate with *one* example: Consider that a column in a
table contains a calculuation, and that the result of adding the
content of the cell on row 2 and 3 is presented as aresult in the
cell row 4, and that the cell in row 4 is also used as header for
the cell in row 5. Then the content in row 4 should be presented
with a TD and not a TH, even if it also acts as a header for the
subsequent cells.
--
leif halvard silli