Re: expected results for URI encoding tests?

Philip Taylor wrote:
> IE6, IE7 go to "results.cgi/%C5%BD?*" where "*" means a raw 0xB4 byte
> (i.e. raw iso-8859-15).
> FF2 goes to "results.cgi/%DE?%DE".
> FF3, Opera 9.5, Safari 3.0 go to "results.cgi/%C5%BD?%DE".

So, we have interop for the path component with current UAs; good.

I'm very concerned with the brokenness of the query component; IE
creates an invalid HTTP URLs, thus essentially forcing HTTP servers to
support those.

But even when the document encoding is percent-escaped, there's still an
issue when a character in the input "URL" can not be mapped to the
document encoding; it would be nice to have a test case for that (or do
we?).

I'd really like to see HTML5 help getting us to a situation where
everything is percent-escaped UTF-8. Basing it just on the document
encoding seems to be fragile...

BR, Julian