Re: expected results for URI encoding tests?

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Dan Connolly wrote:

> > > Ian, these test materials look pretty handy...
> > >   http://hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/uri/encoding/
> >
> > They aren't really tests, more what I call demos -- files that were
> > intended to show behaviour for reverse engineering, not files intended
> > to show pass or fail conditions.
>
> Well, I'm interested to turn them into tests... or at least motivate
> collection of some reverse engineering data for us all to mull over.

Cool.

> > > but I'm not 100% confident I understand how they work. What's the
> > > expected result from 002.html , for example?
> >
> > There's no expected result for any of them really, at least not when
> > they were written. Do you mean expected results with respect to HTML4,
> > HTML5, URI, IRI, HTTP, ...?
>
> HTML 5.

Ah, ok.

> My impression is that you took the demos, ran them against several
> implementations and then figured out a design to write up.

Indeed.

> Maybe I'm just being lazy and I should read the draft more carefully,
> but I did try. Actually, I suppose it would be better if somebody
> besides Ian could answer my question(s) based on the text that Ian has
> written.

Let me know if you want me to give the intended answer. :-)

If the spec is hard to read, I'd like to improve it; could you elaborate
on where you looked and what it said that seemed vague or failed to answer
the question?

Note that the spec hasn't been completely updated to use the new
terminology yet.