Re: expected results for URI encoding tests?

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 19:45 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Dan Connolly wrote:
> >
> > Ian, these test materials look pretty handy...
> >   http://hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/uri/encoding/
>
> They aren't really tests, more what I call demos -- files that were
> intended to show behaviour for reverse engineering, not files intended to
> show pass or fail conditions.

Well, I'm interested to turn them into tests... or at least
motivate collection of some reverse engineering data for us all
to mull over.

> > but I'm not 100% confident I understand how they work.
> > What's the expected result from 002.html , for example?
>
> There's no expected result for any of them really, at least not when they
> were written. Do you mean expected results with respect to HTML4, HTML5,
> URI, IRI, HTTP, ...?

HTML 5.

My impression is that you took the demos, ran them against several
implementations and then figured out a design to write up.

Maybe I'm just being lazy and I should read the draft more carefully,
but I did try. Actually, I suppose it would be better if
somebody besides Ian could answer my question(s) based on the text
that Ian has written.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E