Re: @headers on th too or just td?

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:49:24 +0200, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> I did a little investigation into ISSUE-20 table headers...
>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/20
> I played around with that and validator.nu which led
> me to discover that the current HTML 5 draft allows
> @headers on td but not on th.
>
>  "The td element may have a headers content attribute specified."
>   -- http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#the-td
>   Editor's Draft 25 June 2008
>
> I suppose that suffices as far as I know... I can't
> see any particular reason to use @headers on th, though
> this does suggest the example in the WCAG 2 techniques
> should get revised.
>
> tracker: this regards ACTION-67

There are cases where you have nested headers - i.e. some corner header
will apply to the subheaders (th cells) of a row or column. So it would
seem to make sense that this is allowed. Checking what happens in practice
would be informative - I would be unpleasantly surprised if it ddin't work
now to have @headers specified on th cells, and while the use case is not
a majority of tables, it strikes me as reasonable enough for the cost and
the way it fits with how @headers works.

cheers

Chaals

http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://www.opera.com