Re: URI parsing

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Looking at <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20080624#l-217>:
>>
>>> # # [04:07] <Hixie> parsing a URI reference requires knowing the scheme of
>>> the base URI
>>> # # [04:07] <Hixie> someone please write URI5 so i don't have to deal with
>>> this nonsense
>> It seems you think something is wrong with RFC3986, right? In which case
>> the right thing to do is to send an email to the IETF URI mailing list,
>> asking for clarification.
>
> Oh, I wasn't aware that there was an active working group maintaining the
> URI specs. That would make my life much easier. I'll contact the group
> immediately. Thanks for the heads-up.

No, there is no working group, but there is a mailing list.

>> That being said, I'm not aware of any issues with this. Care to
>> elaborate?
>
> The URI specs don't define anything to do with error handling. The IRI

They don't need to. Garbage in, garbage out.

> specs are incompatible with legacy non-UTF-8 content. Those are the main

How so? There is work on updating RFC3987 going on, so you may want to
bring that up with Martin Dürst.

> problems, I think. You can see the work-in-progress for working around
> these issues here:
>
>    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#urls
>
> I try to defer to URI (3986), IRI (3987), XML Base, and IDN (3490) as much
> as possible.

A quick look shows that you're still referencing RFC2396.

Also, what's wrong with the Reference Resolution defined by RFC3986?

BR, Julian